Hurley villageHurley post officeFields in Hurley


Latest News


  • The name Hurley derives from the Saxon elements 'hurn' meaning a corner and 'ley' meaning a woodland clearing. Its position in the corner of the ancient manor of Kingsbury bears this out.

  • Hurley comprises several smaller hamlets including Hipsley, Heanley, Flanders, Kimberley, Edgehill, Plumpton, Hurley Common, Brook End and Foul End. It was essentially a farming community until the local collieries were established.

  • Hurley Church is situated at the top of Knowle Hill and is a small wooden structure that was originally a mission church destined for the Australian bush. It was erected in 1861 and was also used a school until 1896 when a new, larger school was constructed nearby. There was once an earlier chapel on the site named St Edmunds and graves have been found nearby.

  • The present Hurley Hall was built c.1720, on an older, moated site, and was home to the Willington family during the 17th century. Sir Waldive Willington was a JP and held baptisms and weddings at the hall during the Commonwealth.  After the two day siege of Tamworth Castle in June 1643, Captain Waldive Willington took command of the castle for the Parliamentarians and held it as governor with a small force of men.

  • Atherstone House, next to the church dates from the late 17th century and was originally named Old East House and owned by Squire Wakefield. The village butcher later lived here.

  • The present Holly Bush Inn overlooks the site of the ancient 'Bull Ring' where the village cattle were once sold. Nearby were the village stores, a blacksmith's forge, a wheelwright's workshop, post office and another pub called The Crown. All have long since ceased to trade. Hurley Common also had two inns, the White Hart now demolished and The Anchor which still offers hospitality.

  • Dexter colliery was sunk on the south side of the village in March 1927, as an extension of Kingsbury Colliery, and was closed in 1968 when the underground workings were linked to Daw Mill Colliery. The Dexter shaft was then used for ventilation and as an escape shaft for Birch Coppice Colliery and survived, along with the engine house, until 1989.